The first church in Wełtyń was established in the 13th century, and was first recorded in 1299. At that time, Wełtyń owned town charter, which it lost only at the turn of the 16th and 17th centuries. The medieval church was called St. Stephen and remained under the patronage of St. Mary’s church in Szczecin.
The present building was erected in the second half of the 15th century. The tower and the sacristy were built several dozen years later. Probably around 1530, the walls in the interior of the church were covered with figural paintings, and five years later the church was taken over by the Protestants. At that time, the village became part of the Kołbacz domain, and the patronage over the church was taken over by the state, represented by domain managers.
The church was rebuilt in 1690 and 1784, when it received new Baroque equipment. In the 19th century, the windows were widened, however, maintaining their ogival shape. After the Second World War, the church was taken over by Catholics and in 1946 consecrated to the present call.
The church was erected as an orientated, aisleless building, consisting of a rectangular nave, ending in the east with a three-sided chancel, added to the northern wall of a small sacristy, and a massive tower at the western gable of the nave. The walls were built of unworked erratic stones bonded with mortar with stones and bricks.
The main portal in the western facade of the tower and the side portal in the southern facade of the nave, both of late Gothic forms, led to the interior of the church. The interior was not vaulted, but in the years 1520-1534 the facades were covered with Gothic-Renaissance polychromes.
The church area was fenced with a wall. On the west side, at the northern corner, a stone and brick gate with an pointed-arch passage was placed in it, probably built in the early 15th century.
Pilch J., Kowalski S., Leksykon zabytków Pomorza Zachodniego i ziemi lubuskiej, Warszawa 2012
Website zabytek.pl, Kościół parafialny pw. Matki Boskiej Różańcowej Wełtyń.