At the place where the castle later stood, there was a stronghold of the Święce falily, mentioned in 1307. After Tuchola passed into the hands of the Teutonic Order, an independent commandery was created here, and in 1346 a town was located. After 1454 the castle became the seat of the Polish starost. In 1657 and 1659 the Swedish destroyed the castle. After the first partition of Poland the Prussian government purchased the buildings from the last tenant. After the fire of the city in 1871 the castle was demolished using material for reconstruction of the town.
The castle was a vast complex surrounded by moats, built on a plan similar to a trapeze. It consisted the main castle and two outer baileys. The fortifications of the castle were not combined with the fortifications of the town. The main castle house was built on a rectangular plan in the south – west corner of the town and at the same time south – eastern part of the castle area. Fortifications of the stronghold were not connected with the fortifications of the town, the main house was surrounded by its own perimeter wall, additionally protected by a moat, powered by the waters of the Castle Lake. Two gates led to the outer ward’s area: the wicket Castle Gate on the west side and the main gate on the north side. The walled outer wards were additionally protected by the Kicz river from the west, from the north by a swamp and a canal, and from the east by a moat, behind which, town fortifications were located.
The castle has not survived to modern times. Only relics of the walls are preserved in cellars in the current building of the Commune Office and District Office.
Leksykon zamków w Polsce, L.Kajzer, S.Kołodziejski, J.Salm, Warszawa 2003.