The church was built, as dendrochronological research has shown, at the turn of 1373 and 1374. From its origin up to 1835, it was under the auspices of the Cistercians of Łekno and Wągrowiec, who received a privilege from king Casimir the Great for the founding of the city under Magdeburg law. Probably in the middle of the 17th century a tower was added. In the years 1911-1915 and in the year 1922 the work of securing the temple was carried out. Between 1951 and 1952, polychromy was cleaned, and from 1994 to 2002, a complete renovation and maintenance of the church took place.
The church is a framework, timbered, orientated. Its walls are made of pine wood. It consists of a one-nave body and a narrower chancel which is closed straight. To the north is the sacristy, and from the west is tower with the porch in the ground floor. The roofs are shingled. The walls of the nave and chancel and ceilings are covered by late renaissance polychromes from around 1639.
Church of St. Nicholas is considered as the oldest wooden church in Poland, which additionally, to this day has been preserved in oryginal form. It is under the care of the Regional Museum in Wągrowiec. Entrance to the interior is possible on the occasion of holy masses and after previous contact with the Museum.
Website wikipedia.org, Kościół św. Mikołaja w Tarnowie Pałuckim.
Website zabytek.pl, Kościół pw. św. Mikołaja Tarnowo Pałuckie.