The church was built in the second half of the 14th century in gothic style. In 1368 king Casimir III the Great founded a monastery of Franciscan fathers, added to the temple. In the 16th century the monastery was transformed into a so-called hospital, or poor and old people refuge. In 1630 the temple and the hospital were destroyed by fire. Shortly thereafter they were rebuilt, as indicated by the information that in 1664 there were 12 poor people in the hospital. Around the middle of the 18th century the church and hospital were destroyed again by fire and rebuilt. The church was destroyed in the second half of the 19th century, while in the hospital building the refuge functioned until 1944, when it was destroyed during the war.
The church was a Gothic building, aisleless with an elongated, rectangular nave and a chancel with three-side ending. On the north-east side was a small vestry. From the front there was an atrium from which led the entrances to both the church and the symmetrically arranged two hospital wings, separate for women and for men. They had dimensions of about 13.5 x7.5 meters and consisted of each of two chambers. In the church and porch were made vaults, and in the living space probably wooden ceilings.
Website dawnekieleckie.pl, Szydłów. Ruiny kościoła św. Ducha. Gmina Szydłów, powiat opatowski.