The castle was created in the first half of the 16th century by the foundation of the Płock voivode Feliks Szreński, coat of arms Dołęga on the place of much older, wooden – earth castle. In the hands of Szreńsk family the settlement and the castle remained until the middle of the 16th century. Other owners were Noskowscy, Bielińscy and Podolscy. In the 17th century the towns and the castle were destroyed by the Swedes. The fortress never again recovered its significance, despite its renovation in 1752. In the second half of the 18th century, the abandoned castle was a shelter for Bar confederates, and then fell into complete ruin. In the 19th century it was demolished.
The castle lay on a clump among the wet meadows to the east of the city from which it was separated by a outer bailey and wet moats. It had an irregular quadrilateral plan close to the oval. The brick walls were erected on the crown of the hillfort ramparts, reinforced in the corners of cylindrical towers. In the western curtain from the sides of the city was a gate, preceded by a large gatehouse, decorated with two, empty arcades. The two most important castle houses were erected on the southern and northern curtain. On the axis of the east curtain was a chapel or possibly a barbican. The road to the castle led from the town on the dike.
To this day, the ruins of the southern castle house have been preserved and converted into a classical palace in the later period. Since the fire and destruction in 1948, the building has been deserted and destroyed.
Kunkel R.M., Architektura gotycka na Mazowszu, Warszawa 2005.
Leksykon zamków w Polsce, L.Kajzer, S.Kołodziejski, J.Salm, Warszawa 2003.