The church was built by the Teutonic Knights in the first half of the 14th century. In the years 1609-1610, by the efforts of the parish priest were renewed, but the Swedish army destroyed it in 1626-1629. Several decades later, in 1670, the church was mentioned as a ruin. At the turn of the nineteenth and twentieth century a sacristy was added.
The building is made of bricks in gothic style on a pedestal of a field stones. It is orientated. It consists of an aisleless nave on a rectangular plan and a square, four-storey tower from the west. The sacristy on the north side is already a nineteenth-century addition. The tower in the corners is reinforced on the whole height with massive three-stepped buttresses, it has numerous holes on scaffold beams. A portal in a undertower porch and a pointed portal in the southern wall of the nave leads to the interior of the temple.
Website odznaka.kuj-pom.bydgoszcz.pttk.pl, Kościół p.w. św Wawrzyńca w Szczepankach.