In the fourteenth century Szamotuły were moved, and along with the translocation an erection of the new parish of St. Stanislaus was made. The first documents mention its church only in 1423, but it had to stand for some time since the college of vicars was founded in it. Further documents mentioned equipping the temple and organization of a school near it, which means that at least part of the church was completed. It was probably started to be built at the earliest in the second third of the fourteenth century, at the time of the owners of the town: Wincenty or Dobrogost Szamotulski, and at the latest during Sędziwoj Świdwa, who died in 1403. The founders, whoever they were, decided to erect the largest of the magnate churches that had so far been built in Greater Poland, strongly referring to the Kraków cathedral.
In 1542, Bishop Sebastian Branicki appointed the collegiate chapter and gave the building the status of a collegiate church. Until then, the temple was significantly expanded in the first half of the 16th century. Thanks to the efforts of Łukasz Górka the presbytery, new pillars, vaults and inter-nave arcades were erected.
During the Reformation, the collegiate belonged to Lutherans from 1569, and from 1573 to the Bohemian Brothers. Since 1594 the church has returned to the rule of Catholics. After floods and fires in the 17th and 18th centuries, the collegiate church was renovated. Between 1884 and 1890 the interior was plastered and the south porch was added. In 1930, from the east, a bell tower was built. In 1941 the German army plundered the collegiate. Among stolen things were bells, a picture from the main altar and a tombstone from the 16th century. The church was again given to the followers after the liberation of the city in early 1945.
Kowalski Z., Gotyk wielkopolski. Architektura sakralna XIII-XVI wieku, Poznań 2010.
Maluśkiewicz P., Gotyckie kościoły w Wielkopolsce, Poznań 2008.
Website regionwielkopolska.pl, kościół pw. MB Pocieszenia i św. Stanisława Biskupa w Szamotułach.