The castle was erected at the beginning of the 15th century by the Nałęcz – Szamotulski family. In 1513 it passed into the hands of the Górka family, who transformed it into a renaissance residence. In 1518, a brick Halszka tower was built or reconstructed. With tower is associated the legend of the young wife of Łukasz Górka, whom he ordered to close in the tower, and so that no one could admire her beauty ordered to put on her face an iron mask. In 1549 the tower was rebuilt by Poznań masonry master Jan Czeterwan.
After the death of the voivod of Łukasz III Górka, the castle passed into the hands of the noble families of Wielkopolska and gradually declined. In the 18th and 19th centuries, the castle was transformed, obliterating its originally defensive character. In 1837 the building was taken over by the Prussian successor of the throne, Friedrich Wilhelm, and later transferred to the representatives of the Duchy of Coburg-Gotha. In 1869 a general renovation of the castle began, combined with partial reconstruction. Renovations and regothisation were made in 1976-89.
The castle was situated on a slight elevation of the area on the northern side of an oblong, small lake. It was a brick stronghold with four-sided towers or tower-like buildings in the corners and surrounded by a moat. In the middle of the irregular courtyard there was probably a residential building. The Halszka Tower was built on a rectangular plan with an internal division into four floors. From the outside, in the corners walls were reinforced with high, stepped buttresses. An interesting element were the machicolation at the eastern and western facades, supporting the top floor. Originally, the tower probably served as an building flanking the gate.
Today, the castle consists of a transformed, L-shaped castle building and one of the only preserved towers known as the Halszka Tower. The buildings are owned by the museum, which displays historic interiors, regional archaeological and ethnographic collections and the history of the Górka family. Opening hours and price list can be found on the official website of the museum here.
Leksykon zamków w Polsce, red. L.Kajzer, Warszawa 2003.
Olejniczak K., Grody i zamki w Wielkopolsce, Poznań 1993.