The church was probably founded at the turn of the 13th and 14th centuries. In 1415, the village and the temple became the property of the Toruń Benedictines, which took care of it until 1834. Church was rebuilt in the 18th century and was restored in the first half of the 19th century and in 1914.
The church was originally built in gothic style. It is erected of bricks and glacial erratics. It has one nave, slightly narrower chancel and a tower from the west, partially embedded to the nave. The chancel is double-bay, ended polygonaly from the east. The facades are covered with buttresses, at the chancel they are one-stepped, rising above the crown of walls and topped with pinnacles. The windows of the chancel and nave are ended semicircular.
Mroczko T., Architektura gotycka na ziemi chełmińskiej, Warszawa 1980.
Website wikipedia.org, Kościół św. Jana w Świerczynkach.