The late romanesque rotunda in Stronia was built in the second half of the 13th century, first time recorded in written sources only in 1376. It served as a rural parish church. In the 14th century the vestry was added to it from the north. In the sixteenth century the temple was taken over by Protestants, who raised the walls by 1 meter, and pierced the window openings in the nave and apse and demolished the original hemispherical vault in apse. In the seventeenth century a funeral chapel was added to the sacristy. Finally, around the middle of the nineteenth century a tower was built over the sacristy, which was raised at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries.
The rotunda was built of glacial erratics and swamp ore arranged in layers, between which the space was filled with mortar and small pebbles. Originally it consisted of a circular nave with a diameter of 9.6 meters and a horseshoe apse from the east with a diameter of 5.6 meters and a four-sided sacristy from the north, built perhaps in the fourteenth century. An ogival southern portal led into the interior, apse and rotunda windows were also pointed, which reveals indicate the early gothic origin of the rotunda. Inside there is a stone piscina from the time the rotunda was built.
The spatial arrangement of the building has survived unchanged. The tower and chapel from the north come from the later period. Unfortunately, the nave’s window openings were widened, and new ones were pierced in connection with the founding of the matronea inside. In the original state, three apse windows have survived, with three newer ones, early modern ones, pierced next to them.
Pilch J., Leksykon zabytków architektury Dolnego Śląska, Warszawa 2005.
Świechowski Z., Architektura na Śląsku do połowy XIII wieku, Warszawa 1955.
Website zabytkowekoscioly.net, Stronia, kościół Narodzenia NMP.