The construction of the Kiszewa castle began Teutonic Knights in the mid 14th century on the site of the earlier hillfort of the Pomeranian princes. Its role was to insure the central part of Gdańsk Pomerania against attacks from the Polish side. It was probably managed by the pfleger and subordinated to the Tczew vogt.
After the outbreak of the 13-year war in 1454, the castle was captured by the army of the city of Gdańsk, and in 1459 it was recapture by the Teutonic Knights. The Gdańsk townspeople attempted to take again the fortress, but resigned from the fear of the Teutonic troops coming in. The castle remained in the hands of the Teutonic Order until the Second Peace of Toruń in 1466. From then on, it became the seat of the starosts, which remained in the hands of Szorc, Konarski, Działyński, Wolski and Czapski families. Around 1600, the castle was converted into a mannerist residence, which was destroyed by Swedes in the mid-17th century during the Swedish invasion. Only partially rebuilt, it served as a farm, distillery, sawmill and mill.
The upper castle was erected on a peninsula surrounded by wet meadows and a bend of the Wierzyca river. Not much is known about its layout. One might assume that it was a regular quadrangle, with corner towers. In one of the two wings on the first floor was a chapel and a refectory.
Outer bailey located north of the upper castle, was built on an irregular quadrangle. In front of the perimeter wall were a strong corner towers. They were set obliquely, which gave the possibility of flanking the long sections of the curtain wall. The entrance was in the vicinity of the tower, in the north-eastern part of the outer bailey.
To this day, only the circuit of the fortified walls of outer bailey with the gate tower have survived. Gates upper parts date back to the early modern and neo-gothic times. The property is in private hands, but after contacting with the owner, it is possible to explore it.
Leksykon zamków w Polsce, red. L.Kajzer, Warszawa 2003.