The construction of Środa Śląska town hall started in the first half of the 14th century. In the 15th century, a brick house was added to the tower, which was rebuilt in 1552 and 1589-1593. Between 1798 and 1799 the tower was extended and in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries a small alteration of the town hall was made. In the years 1974-1978 a major renovation of the building was carried out.
The town hall tower was originally located in the vicinity of an older timber building. In the fifteenth century, the brick building of the town hall was added to the tower which, with earlier structure, formed the letter “L”. From the town hall building the most spectacular is southern façade decorated with a gothic, triangular, stepped gable with blendes. Over the battlements there are pilasters with triangular blendes. On the upper floor there is a representative room with a preserved gothic, triple vault. In the tower, which originally served as a prison and torture chamber, there are five vertically-placed chambers.
Pilch J., Leksykon zabytków architektury Dolnego Śląska, Warszawa 2005.
Website zjk.centrix.pl, Gotycka wieża więzienna w Środzie Śląskiej.