The construction of the ramparts began at the end of the 13th century, when the townspeople applied to the king Charles of Luxembourg for permission to erect them. Walls were taken along the town’s borders and were combined with castellan castle. In the 14th century fortifications were expanded, among other, with town gates towers. In the 15th century towers were built on the corners of the walls. At the beginning of the 17th century, the walls were thoroughly repaired, but shortly thereafter, due to the new requirements of the war technique, the towers were lowered to the height of the walls. In 1770 the former castle was demolished, while in the next century some sections of the wall were demolished.
The height of the walls was 5,5 meters and the thickness of 1,2 meter. The line of the walls was reinforced at several dozen meters, by semi-cylindrical or quadrilateral half towers, opened from the town side and full towers in the corners of the fortifications. At the end of the 16th century there were 54 of them. In front of the walls was a moat, several meters deep and several meters wide. The town had five town gates: Wrocławska from the east, Legnicka from the west, Świdnicka called also the St. Thomas Gate from the south, Butcher Gate from the north and fifth wchich was created from wicket gate, called Baker or New Gate. In 1536 a tower was added to it.
Today, the defensive walls of Środa Śląska have survived for about 1700 meters, but most of them are heavily reduced. At best they survived in the northern and southern sections of the circumference. Especially impressive could look south fragment where some reconstructed towers are located, but unfortunately these fortifications are terribly neglected.
Przyłęcki M., Mury obronne miast Dolnego Śląska, Wrocław 1970.