The first wooden church, founded by the bishop of Poznań Jan Gerbicz, existed at the end of the 13th century. In 1331 it was burned down during the Teutonic invasion. However, it continued to function in the following years. Around 1400 it was completly rebuilt. Its founder was bishop of Poznań Andrzej Bniński. In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries church underwent numerous reconstructions. Its partial regothisation occurred in 1949-1958 under the direction of the architect Alexander Holas.
The church is brick-made with stones in the plinth. It is an orientated, three-nave and hall building with a separate, older chancel. Initially, the church was covered with flat ceilings, only at the beginning of the sixteenth century it was replaced by a stellar vault. In the sacristy there is a rib vault. The oldest equipments are gothic baptismal fonts from the 14th and 15th centuries and the statue of Our Lady of Sorrows from about 1400.
Grzybkowski A., Gotycka architektura murowana w Polsce, Warszawa 2016.
Website swwawrzyniec-slupca.pl, Parafia Świętego Wawrzyńca w Słupcy.