During the early Middle Ages, Recz was a Slavic stronghold with a market settlement in the borough. In 1269, in the neighboring areas conquered by Brandenburg, the New March (Neumarkt) was created. As part of it colonization between 1269 and 1296, the town was founded next to the settlement. From 1370, it was the property of the Wedel family, and temporarily in the years 1402-1454, the Teutonic Order ruled here.
Despite the location away from the main trade routes, the town slowly developed as a local trade and craft center, and as a result, in the first half of the 14th century, the construction of brick defensive walls was started on the site of earlier 13th century wooden and earth ramparts. In the second half of the fourteenth century, the walls were raised and a tower was erected on a square plan. In the middle of the fifteenth century, a new Choszczno Gate was erected, and the old one was transformed into a tower. In the second half of the fifteenth century, the gates were reinforced with foregates. In 1637 fortifications were damaged during the fire of the city, and in the eighteenth century, the outer belt of earth-water fortifications was eliminated. From the second half of the nineteenth century, renovations and maintenance began, also continued in the twentieth century.
The defensive walls in Recz were built of field stone, probably with a brick superstructure. They did not have battlement, maybe they were topped with hoarding. They were about 1,10 – 1,20 meters thick, and their height at the highest point was 5 meters. In the second half of the 14th century, the wall was raised to a height of 6 – 7 meters. Their full perimeter was about 1470 meters and was reinforced with evenly spaced half towers. There were at least 28 of them, including three semi-circular ones. Rectangular half towers were visibly extended from the defensive wall and three-storey.
Two gates led to the city: Drawsko Gate (Stone) from the east, and preserved to this day Choszczno Gate, also known as Mill Gate from the western side. The Choszczno Gate in the mid-15th century was rebuilt into a tower, and on the southern side a new Choszczno Gate was erected. From the second half of the fifteenth century, the gates were reinforced with foregates, at the gate of Choszczno it were two protruded towers. In addition to the gates, there were probably two wicket gates, on the north and south side.
In Recz, almost the entire perimeter of the city walls has survived, without the south-west section, but with the Choszczno Gate, the Drawieńska Tower and the semi-circular half tower. For the most part, the defensive wall is unfortunately reduced to about 4 meters.
Pilch.J, Kowalski S., Leksykon zabytków Pomorza Zachodniego i ziemi lubuskiej, Warszawa 2012.