The first Teutonic castle in Przezmark (Preußisch Mark) was erected in the second half of the 13th century. Its original name refers to a document from 1305 in which it was described as the Prutenicale Forum, meaning the Prussian Market. The construction of a brick building in years 1316 to 1331 was initiated by the commander of the Dzierzgoń, Luther from Braunschweig, at the same time fulfilling the duties of the obersttrappier. In the castle there was a obersttressler’s office, from 1320 a pfleger’s seat, from 1359 a vogt’s seat and finally in 1437 a convent moved here, after the destruction of the castle in Dzierzgoń. In connection with raising the rank of the castle, it was expanded in 1359, when the main castle’s house was extended and again in 1437, when it was raised.
Although the castle was located in a very convenient place for defense, in 1410 it was taken without a fight by the army of Władysław Jagiełło. The Polish king rented it to the knight Mroczko and sent him to the castle together with the writer to draw up a property inventory. On the way back, the writer and the fellowship were killed. A knight Mroczko was blamed for the desire to take over the Teutonic treasures, although the matter was never fully explained. A year later, however, the castle returned to the Teutonic Knights as a result of the First Peace of Toruń.
In 1414, the building was again conquered by Polish troops and seriously damaged, but after recapturing the Order made a significant expansion and strengthening of the castle. In 1437, the castle became the seat of the commander, and the land court was also transferred to it. In the 15th century, armaments for Teutonic knights were manufactured on a large scale in Przezmark and in the 16th century, guns, hand firearms and ammunition were made. However, at the beginning of the 16th century, due to the deteriorating state of the Teutonic finances, Przezmark passed into the possession of the Pomesanian bishops, and then after secularization, became the seat of the starosts. Therefore, in the 80s of the 16th century, the castle underwent another reconstruction, which was to make it a residence in place of a defensive building. Throughout the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, the building, although it housed the Land Office, was seriously neglected, and the process of its ruin was sealed, when at the end of the eighteenth century, the demolition of walls was begun in order to obtain building materials for the farm and Evangelical church.
The natural conditions of terrain were used when the castle was built, placing it in the corner of the peninsula, falling down steep slopes to the lake. A wide, hydrated moat was separating it from the outer ward, another ditch was dug at the base of the peninsula. It was strengthened with a defensive wall with a gate, preceded by a bridge on brick pillars and two towers, round from the west and square, so-called Prison Tower, from the east. It was built around 1329 as part of the extension of the pfleger’s castle. It is 35 meters high and has six floors. Its façades are decorated with patterns from the strongly burnt zendrówka brick.
The main complex of the castle was rectangular with dimensions of 47×73 meters. Initially, it consisted only of the eastern building, surrounded by a quadrangle of defensive walls with a gate reinforced with a zwinger from the north. Extremely long house with dimensions of 12×61 meters was made of brick on a stone plinth. It occupied the entire east side of the quadrangle. It was originally a three-story building with a basement. The cellars were divided into two rooms topped with groin vaults, supported by a row of granite pillars. The ground floor rooms also had vaults, the upper storeys had only timber ceilings. In the fifteenth century, the building was raised by a further two floors and in order to communicate, the cloisters were added from the side of the courtyard. The eastern building housed the main castle rooms, but exceptionally the chapel of St. Anne was placed on the outer ward. It was moved to the upper castle only after Teutonic convent being located in the stronghold in the fifteenth century. Probably from the north, a massive four-sided tower adjoined the building. Perhaps there was a treasury in it.
In the southern part of the castle there was an octagonal tower with the adjacent dansker, extended towards the lake. Access to dansker was possible on the timber porch. The northern wing was built in two phases, in the fifteenth and eighteenth centuries. The southern building was a seventeenth-century addition. The main castle gate was in the north – west corner. Probably because of the terrain conditions, it was located at a slant. On the east side the castle was defended by an additional wall and zwinger. On the slopes of the site, gardens were supposedly set up. It is known that in the castle, apart from the rooms necessary for the Teutonic convent (refectory, dormitory, chapel) there was a brewery, granary and bakery.
The main element of the castle that has survived to this day is the so-called Prisoner Tower, located on the former outer bailey. In addition, there are only small fragments of the outer walls, an outline of the room based on granite pillars in the east wing, or the relics of the entrance gate. Ruins belong to a private person who admits willing tourists to visit the castle.
Garniec M., Garniec-Jackiewicz M., Zamki państwa krzyżackiego w dawnych Prusach, Olsztyn 2006.
Leksykon zamków w Polsce, L.Kajzer, S.Kołodziejski, J.Salm, Warszawa 2003.