The castle of Prudnik was built before 1262 on the initiative of Wok of Rosenberg, the Czech marshal of king Przemysław Ottokar II. It controlled the traffic on the trade route from Wrocław through Nysa to Opava and was the seat of a castellan in the Prudnik district and one of the fortresses defending the northern border of Moravia. Until 1337 the city was within the borders of the Czech crown. Later, lord of Prudnik land was the Bolko of Niemodlin, and then to the death of Jan the Good in 1532, Prudnik was in possession of the Piasts of Opole. The castle itself was originally owned by the knights families. After the expulsion of the Opole dynasty, the Habsburgs took it over. In 1597 the City Council of Prudnik bought the castle for the sum of 60 thousand thalers from emperor Rudolph II of Habsburg. In 1806, the castle was devastated by fire, saving only a stone tower.
The castle was built on a river slope in the western part of the Old Town, on a slight hill. It was erected on a diamond set and was surrounded by a moat. Its main element was tower located in the south-east corner, cylindrical in the lower part, higher octagonal. It was a typical stone bergfried, or tower of ultimate defense. It had thick walls of stone and an entrance placed at a height of 12,5 meters. The lower storey was used as a prison, while the higher was used as food and weapons stores. The highest storey served defensive and observation purposes. In the northern part of the building was the main house. The whole was surrounded by a peripheral wall.
Only a cylindrical tower, also known as the Woka Tower, survived from former castle. In 2009 it was renovated and upgraded. The medieval hoarding and the shingle roof were reconstructed. The tower is under the protection of the Museum of the Prudnik Land. Sightseeing is available from May 1 to September 30: Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 to 18:00, and Tuesdays to Fridays from 10:00 to 16:00.
Leksykon zamków w Polsce, L.Kajzer, S.Kołodziejski, J.Salm, Warszawa 2003.