The construction of the cathedral in Prabuty began probably after 1330, when bishop Rudolf issued a document for location of the city. The church was to be erected on the model of the cathedral in Kwidzyń. In 1525 after the secularization of Prussia, it was taken over by the Protestants. In 1688 the temple was destroyed as a result of a great fire. The effect was a collapsing vault that destroyed the interior and liturgical equipment. Thanks to the efforts of the residents and the authorities, the temple was rebuilt, with a wooden ceiling. In 1807, the Napoleonic troops following the Prussian army had installed a warehouse and a lazaret inside the church. In 1808 the temple was re-consecrated and restored. The nineteenth century and the first half of the twentieth century passed under the sign of peace. The fires that destroyed the city spared the cathedral. Only World War II brought great destruction. The interior of the nave was burned down, the vaults collapsed. Only the massive body of the tower defended itself against the fire caused by Soviet troops. The reconstruction of the cathedral began only in the eighties.
St. Adalbert’s gothic church consists of a nave corpus, a slightly narrower chancel and a massive rectangular tower attached to it.