The church existed here in the first half of the 13th century, but the present gothic body of the temple was built in in the second half of the 14th century or in the 15th century. It was then the parish church of the town of Śródka near Poznań. Shortly thereafter, the sacristy, the tower and the chapel of St. Barbara were added. Chapel of St. Philip was erected from the south around 1650. Devastated during the Swedish wars, the church was rebuilt in 1658 and partly rebuilt in the baroque form in the first half of the 18th century. In the years 1671-1805 it was in the hands of the Filipinos priests. After dissolution the church was taken over by the archdiocese parish. In the years 1946-1947 a thorough refurbishment was carried out, during which part of the medieval details were unveiled.
The church was erected as a building with an interesting form for a small town temple. Initially, it was a single-nave, aisleless building with a three-side ended, not externally separated presbytery. The interior was admittedly not vaulted, but the facades inside were enlivened by high arcades. A portal led to it, which was made of a thick shaft with a nose.
In the fifteenth century, a four-sided, low-rise tower was added to the west facade, a sacristy at the presbytery and the chapel of St. Barbara on the north side. The addition of the tower with buttresses partly obscured the west gable, separated by bleached, stepped blendes. The interior was covered with a late Gothic stellar vault.
Kowalski Z., Gotyk wielkopolski. Architektura sakralna XIII-XVI wieku, Poznań 2010.
Maluśkiewicz P., Gotyckie kościoły w Wielkopolsce, Poznań 2008.
Website wikipedia.org, Kościół św. Małgorzaty w Poznaniu.