The first mention of the castle in Pińczów comes from a document from the 1400. Between 1424 and 1428, Pińczów and the castle were bought by the Cracow bishop Zbigniew Oleśnicki for his brother Jan Głowacz. Oleśnicki in the place of an old building from the end of the 13th century, erected a new castle, whose construction lasted 30 years and consumed considerable sums. After the death of Mikołaj Oleśnicki, in 1586 the castle was acquired by the Cracow bishop Piotr Myszkowski, who restored it and thoroughly rebuilt it. In 1727, the castle passed into the hands of the Wielopolski family. At that time, the magnificent residence fell into disrepair, and in 1799 the demolition of the castle walls was begun by order of Franciszek Wielopolski.
The first castle from the end of the 13th century was created on an irregular plan, because the course of the walls was adapted to the shape of the hill. Its main element was a massive cylindrical tower on the eastern side, included in the perimeter of the defensive walls.
The medieval castle of Oleśnicki was built of huge, carefully worked stones, and in the upper part of the brick. The castle was built on a square plan. The main element was a powerful, two-storey keep on a rectangular plan measuring 13×23 meters. It occupied the south-west end of the headland of the hill. The structure of the building was enriched with corner bay windows and a larger bay window on the axis of the elevation, whose base was reinforced with four buttresses. On the opposite side two towers were erected. In the neighborhood of greater, north-eastern tower, there was a gatehouse with a chapel on the first floor. The route to the castle led from the south-east, after a bridge supported on a large quadrangular stone pillar.
The castle does not exist. Only small relics of masonry and foundation parts are visible. Admission to the castle hill is free.
Leksykon zamków w Polsce, red. L.Kajzer, Warszawa 2003.
Wróblewski S., Zamki i dwory obronne województwa sandomierskiego w średniowieczu, Nowy Sącz 2006.