The castle was built at the beginning of the 15th century, when the village of Owiesno belonged to the Pogorzel family. They lived here until the beginning of the 17th century. Until 1679, the castle was the residence of count August of Legnica, the uncle of the last of the Silesian Piasts. After 1797, it became the property of the von Seidlitz family, who lived there until World War II. From the 17th to the 19th century it was rebuilt many times.
The medieval castle of Pogorzels family was on a plan similar to a circle with a diameter of about 30 meters with a tower set in a line of stone perimeter walls. The gate was either from the north or from the south, and the houses and outbuildings were in the inner courtyard. The castle was surrounded by the second circumference of the wall, 1-1.4 meters thick, of which nine shooting holes have been preserved from the north and an irrigated moat. The entrance was flanked by an additional four-sided tower of the outer belt of fortifications.
The castle in Owiesno is a sad example of reprehensible negligence, because even in the 1950s it was well preserved, with roofs and a tower included. It fell into disrepair in the 1960s when the tower collapsed and quickly degraded. It was only in the 21st century that it was under the care of the Foundation “Chudów Castle”, which cleaned the castle moat and declutter the building. In 2009, the first security work was carried out.
Chorowska M., Rezydencje średniowieczne na Śląsku, Wrocław 2003.
Leksykon zamków w Polsce, L.Kajzer, S.Kołodziejski, J.Salm, Warszawa 2003.