The castle was built by king Casimir the Great between the years 1354-1370. It was mentioned for the first time in written sources in 1370, when Zaklika, the burgrave of Ojców was recorded. In 1397, the chaplain of the castle’s chapel was mentioned. In 1400 castle was for the first time pledged by king Władysław Jagiełło. The starosty was most often in the hands of royal creditors, mainly representatives of the most important Małopolska families. They were, among others Piotr Szafraniec from Pieskowa Skała, Jan Mężyk from Dąbrowa, Jan Boner and Andrzej Tęczyński. The starosts, unfortunately, did not treat the castle as their residence, which meant that it was already in bad condition at the beginning of the 17th century. In 1619 bought it Mikołaj Koryciński of Pilica, the Topór coat of arms, who renovated and rebuilt the whole site. During the Swedish invasion in 1660, the castle as one of the few was not destroyed, because the occupiers arranged a weapon and food warehouse in it. In the 18th century, the castle was full of life and was visited, among others by king Stanisław Poniatowiski. In 1802, however, it was abandoned, and the then owner Teofil Załuski removed from castle his movable property. Soon, the walls that threatening to collapse began dismantled. Subsequent reconstruction plans have never been implemented. Unfortunately, the security works from the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries deprived the building of many historic elements.
The core of the original stronghold was a octagonal tower built of worked stones at the top of the rock cape. Originally it had three floors and about 13 meters high. Probably from the fourteenth century, the perimeter wall, running along the edges of the hill, also comes from. The castle’s house was located by the eastern curtain. The entrance to the castle ran from the west side adjacent to the tower. There was a gatehouse preserved until today, to which a wooden bridge supported by brick pillars led. In the 17th century, a stately residential building was erected on the southern headland. It was a two-story building with basement, housing a chapel and rooms in a two-bay system.
Castle has survived to the present day as ruin with a heavily lowered main tower, a building with gate passage and relics of the perimeter wall. There is a small museum in the castle gatehouse and tower.
Leksykon zamków w Polsce, L.Kajzer, S.Kołodziejski, J.Salm, Warszawa 2003.
Kołodziejski S., Średniowieczne budowle obronne na terenie Jury Ojcowskiej w świetle wyników nowszych badań, Kraków 2006.