The castle, originally called Waldenburg, was probably founded at the beginning of the 14th century on the initiative of the dukes of Świdnica and Jawor. It was mentioned for the first time in 1364. After the death of Bolko II, it belonged to widow Agnes, then passed into the hands of the Czech kings, and then became the property of the Silesian families. In the years 1402-1417 it was expanded. From 1434 to the 17th century it belonged to the Czetryc family, with a short break when the Zedlitz family ruled it. During the fights of king Władysław Jagiellończyk with the Hungarian king Maciej Korwin in 1471, it was an important defense point. A thorough rebuilding of the castle in the renaissance style was made at the end of the 16th century. After a fire in 1581 caused by a lightning strike, it was not rebuilt. It was fortified yet during the Thirty Years War.
The plan of the castle occupying the entire culmination of the hill is irregular and very elongated. It covers the entire area of the ridge, about 140 meters long. Its eastern part is the medieval upper castle, the western part is renaissance castle. The upper castle had the shape of an elongated, slightly broken rectangle, separated from the west by a dry moat carved into the rock. It consisted of perimeter walls, a rectangular house with dimensions of 4,9×9,7 meters in the north-west corner and a slightly protruding tower in the south-west corner. An extended building, the so-called “house of lords”, divided into three rooms, reached the eastern corner. In the western part, you can see the remains of the vault of the basement and stairs leading to it, carved into the rock. The original gate was located in the western part of the castle. It was separated from the outer ward by a moat dug into the rock.
The courtyard of the lower castle was founded on the plan of an elongated trapezoid with a wider base at the height of the moat. The only preserved building element is the defensive circuit. In the western corner there was a gate with a pointed passage, and in the perimeter wall there were two bastions, semicircular in the north and a triangular in the south.
To this day, preserved remains of the castle consist of a gothic gate portal with two low towers, foundations of residential buildings, fragments of defensive walls surrounding the courtyard and the medieval upper castle, and relics of the tower.
Boguszewicz A., Corona Silesiae. Zamki Piastów fürstenberskich na południowym pograniczu księstwa jaworskiego, świdnickiego i ziębickiego do połowy XIV wieku, Wrocław 2010.
Leksykon zamków w Polsce, L.Kajzer, S.Kołodziejski, J.Salm, Warszawa 2003.