The church was founded in the 14th century on the site of an earlier wooden church. The chancel with the sacristy and vestibule was built around 1366, and the nave with the tower was added at the end of the 14th and at the beginning of the 15th century. In the years 1557-1581, the building was used for a short time by the reformists. At that time, the medieval polychromes were probably painted over. The church was reconstructed and renovated several times, including in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, the last time in 1910-1912. The northern aisle was then expanded and the central nave was extended by three bays. Another, fourth gable was created, modeled on the original ones. The entire interior was then also vaulted, according to the simplified presbytery pattern.
The church is orientated, hall, erected on the projection of a rectangle. The corpus was originally three-bay, currently it has a five-bay, three-nave structure. The presbytery is straight ended, four-bay. A four-sided tower stood in the former south-west corner of the nave. The individual parts of church are covered by gable and mono-pitched roofs. The building is set on a stone foundation, made of brick, inside plastered.
The elevations are fastened with buttresses, with windows and blendes in plastered jambs. The facade is symmetrical, its middle part is captured by buttresses. On the axis there is an pointed portal, and above it is a blende, the whole is crowned with a triangular gable with pinnacles. The former western gable is stepped, divided by pinnacles and stripes of pointed blendes. On the south side, the gable is embedded into the northern wall, formerly the corner tower. The tower is six-storey, divided by cornices and fragmented with blendes and crowned with battlement. The eastern elevation is distinguished by gables: triangular, late gothic with pinnacles in the culmination of the presbytery and stepped gable over the nave.
The nave is open to the presbytery with a pointed, chancel arch, and to the aisles with arcades on octagonal pillars. The interiors are covered with gothic stellar vaults in the presbytery and neo-gothic in the naves. There are relics of medieval paintings in them.
The parish church in Nowe is one of the most beautiful and largest churches in the nearby area and is an example of a rare, skilful combination of the original gothic construction with the neo-gothic extension. Currently, it performs sacral functions.
Grzyb A., Strzeliński K., Najstarsze kościoły Kociewia, Starogard Gdański, 2008.
Website zabytek.pl, Kościół par. pw. św. Mateusza Apostoła i Ewangelisty Nowe.