The church in Nowe Miasto Lubawskie was built with the foundation of the city and the erection of the parish around 1325. It was erected by the Teutonic Order, which had the right of patronage and financed the construction. In 1330, the construction of the chancel was completed, and in the middle of the 14th century the nave and the lower part of the tower were erected. In the second half of the fourteenth century, the main nave was increased by the introduction of a basilica layout. After 1400, the chancel was extended to include a three-sided, buttressed span. In the vicinity of 1460, the nave was covered with a four-armed stellar vault, and the tower was raised. At the beginning of the 17th century, the funerary chapel of the Działyński family was added in the corner between the southern nave and the chancel.
The building is a gothic, three-nave basilica. The height of the main nave is 17,7 meters, the side aisles 7,7 meters. The church is 54 meters long and 19 meters wide. The entrance to the temple is located in a 40-meter high tower located on the west. The interior features wall paintings from the Middle Ages and the baroque period. Noteworthy are the paintings on the walls of the chancel, in the nave and under the music choir. The church has a stellar vaults in the nave.
Website leksykonkultury.ceik.eu, Bazylika Mniejsza św. Tomasza Apostoła w Nowym Mieście Lubawskim.