The origins of the brick castle can be connected with the prince Bolko of Opole and the end of 13th or the beginning of the 14th century. Until 1382, the building was the stronghold of the princes of Niemodlin. During the Hussite wars it was destroyed and then it was the seat of the knight’s families, which expanded it. The end of the first, medieval stage of development brought a fire in 1552.
In 1581, the emperor Rudolf II sold the castle to the Puckler family, who from 1589 began the renaissance reconstruction. The work lasted until 1619, when the castle chapel was erected. During the Thirty Years War, the castle was destroyed. As a result of the reconstruction a mannerist-baroque building was created with three palace ranges and a series of open galleries from the south-east. Remodeling from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries obliterated the original spatial concept of the castle, among others on the site of the cloisters, a low range closing the courtyard was erected. The owner of the castle in Niemodlin until 1945 was Count Frederick Leopold von Praschma. After the Second World War, the monument was the seat of the National Repatriation Office, a high school, an officer’s school, and in recent years it has been abandoned.
In the Middle Ages, the castle was a rectangular, buttressless, probably residential tower measuring 4.75×9 meters. It functioned briefly and probably at the beginning of the fourteenth century it was replaced by a much more powerful tower, measuring 11×12 meters. It was built of glacial erratic stones, limestones and bricks. It was surrounded by a sand and clay ramparts and a moat.
In the third phase, in the first half of the fifteenth century, perimeter walls were created, reinforced with buttresses, closing the quadrangle measuring 33.7 x 40.5 meters. On the south – east side, a residential range was erected, but the older tower was pulled down. The new three-story building had four rooms on each floor. In the eastern corner was probably a chapel. The rest of the inner courtyard was occupied by timber buildings. In early modern times, the other two ranges and the gatehouse tower extended from the north-western wall facade, were erected.
The castle survived in the form of a highly unified, rebuilded block. It is difficult to find with the naked eye, elements of the original medieval stronghold. From 2015, it belongs to a private investor who plans to renovate it.
Leksykon zamków w Polsce, L.Kajzer, S.Kołodziejski, J.Salm, Warszawa 2003.