The construction of the church began at the beginning of the fourteenth century. Initially the present chancel was built, the nave was founded in the 15th century. In 1420, a monastery was built next to the then existing church. From 1536, the monastery, after being taken over by the Protestants, served as a hospital and warehouse. The temple was left in the hands of the Franciscans. With time, however, the church gradually began to deteriorate. In 1654, it was again taken over by Catholics. By virtue of the decree of 1667, it was again transferred to the Order of Friars Minor from Nysa.
After the visit in 1666, it was stated that the church called “Polish” had damaged vaults and is in poor condition. From 1671, the Franciscans began construction works. The interior of the church was rebuilt, giving it a baroque shape, and in 1681 a tower was added on the roof of the chancel.
In 1810, as a result of the nationalization of monastic property, the church was closed. The temple was turned into a military warehouse. Thirteen years later, it was bought by the municipal authorities, turning the temple into a granary. Some windows were walled up, the equipment was sold or transferred to other churches. Only in 1982 at the request of the parish priest of St. Apostles Peter and Paul, the Ministry of Culture and Art gave him historic church for perpetual usufruct. From that moment, renovation work began.
The church is made of brick, gothic building consisting of a rectangular, three-nave, hall corpus from the 15th century and a chancel from the beginning of the 14th century. The presbytery is narrower and three-side ended. The corpus and the chancel on the outside are surrounded with buttresses and covered with gable roofs. The windows in the presbytery are ogival, two-light and three-light with traceries. The windows in the naves are now walled up. Above the presbytery windows there is a tooth frieze.
Pilch J, Leksykon zabytków architektury Górnego Śląska, Warszawa 2008.
Website wikipedia.org, Kościół św. Franciszka z Asyżu i św. Piotra z Alkantary w Namysłowie.