Church of St. Margaret in Moskorzewo was founded around 1380 by Klemens of Moskorzewo of the Pilawa coat of arms, Chancellor of Poland and castellan of the Wiślica, a trusted man of king Władysław Jagiełło. In the second half of the 16th century, the building was taken over by the Calvinists and later by the Arians. After the Catholics’ recovery, Potoccy family, then local owners, in the period from 1882 to 1906, subjected a thorough restoration. In the course of it, among others, a new chapel was erected on the south side, the highest storey of the tower was rebuilt, the gables were partially reconstructed and the interior was transformed. Fortunately, the restaurant work did not disturb the original character of the building. In the period 1926-1988, as well as in the last decade, the church underwent further renovations.
The church is a brick building with a Flemish bond. It consists of a three-span nave, a narrower and slightly lower, two-span chancel and sacristy on the northern side. On the axis of the west elevation there is a square, five-storey tower. Its octagonal crowning is already the result of 19th-century works. The nave and the chancel were reinforced with buttresses. The gothic character of the church is also evidenced by the pointed arch windows in the southern wall and the currently walled window with a stone tracery in the eastern wall of the presbytery. The steep roofs of the temple were originally covered with shingles.
Small circular hollows can be seen in the lower parts of the brick walls of the church. According to local tradition, they were drilled during the consecration of swords by knights, before going on war expeditions or by drilling with a wooden drill during the “spring fire striking” rite. From the original equipment of the temple, an original gothic iron door with an inscription informing about the foundation and the date 1380 and the coat of arms of Pilawa has been preserved.
Website diecezja.kielce.pl, Moskorzew św. Małgorzaty.
Website zabytek.pl, Kościół par. pw. św. Małgorzaty, Moskorzew.