Mokrsko Górne – castle

History

The building was erected in the second half of the 14th century. Its founder was probably one of the sons of the great royal marshal Piotr Kmita: the Cracow bishop Florian or his brother, the castellan of Radom Klemens. Mokrsko family lost their residence in 1509. During the first half of the 16th century, the castle changed owners at least five times. In 1531, Mokrsko and the castle were purchased by queen Bona. Perhaps on her behalf, the reconstruction of the residence was led by Piotr Kmita, who is credited with modernizing the castle, although he never owned it. At the turn of the 16th and 17th centuries, a new residential wing was added outside the southern wall of the castle. At the turn of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, the building was abandoned, in 1846 it was already significantly ruined.

Architecture

In the first half of the sixteenth century, the building consisted of a castle erected on a small mound surrounded by a moat and an outer ward to which ran a dyke among wet meadows (although chronicler Jan Długosz described the castle as located among forests). The main castle was built of stones on a plan similar to a rectangle measuring 25×45 meters with buttresses in the corners of the perimeter wall. The western curtain was filled with a one-story residential building with a basement and three floors. On the second floor there was a large representative room and a side chamber. The castle courtyard was surrounded on three sides by a wall, topped with a guard porch. The gatehouse, extended before front of the wall, had a square-like view.

Current state

Only the relics of the eastern wall of the residential house and the north-east corner of the curtain wall have survived to our times. Entrance to the ruins is free.

show this monument on map

return to alphabetical index

bibliography:
Leksykon zamków w Polsce, L.Kajzer, S.Kołodziejski, J.Salm, Warszawa 2003.
Wróblewski S., Zamki i dwory obronne województwa sandomierskiego w średniowieczu, Nowy Sącz 2006.