The first mention of the church appears in the documents in 1329. It was built by the Cistercians for the local population, over which they were pastoral care. In 1466, the church, possibly because of a fire, was erected again. It was built by the royal carpenter Maciej Mączka on the order of the abbot Piotr Hiszberg. It was probably renovated in 1587. Around 1740 a thorough reconstruction and modernization of the church was made. However, the existing gothic spatial and structural layout has not been disturbed. The church received instead the shape of the latin cross, by the addition of side chapels and a two-storey sacristy. The shingle was removed from the bottom part, covered with boarding. In 1839, the side and main vestibule were added.
The church was built in a log construction, with walls later planked vertically. Originally it consisted of a four-sided nave divided into three aisles in a hall arrangement and a narrower chancel closed in the east on three sides. A later four-sided sacristy was attached to its northern wall, and two chapels to the nave. The nave and presbytery were covered by a common hip roof, and the entire church was initially covered with shingles.
Inside the nave, three aisles were divided by gothic ogival and profiled arcades, supported on partially profiled columns. These columns also supported the roof truss formed in the “zaskrzynieniowy” (chest) system. In the medieval church, the spacing of individual prats of ruff truss was adapted to the width of the presbytery, and the bottom beams of the truss (also floor beams) were supported in the presbytery on the last wall of frame. In this situation, the lateral, wider parts of the nave did not support the truss, so the upper parts of the presbytery walls were extended to the nave, up to the west wall of the church and the height of the side walls of the nave was lowered. In this way, on the beams of the walls of the presbytery extended on the nave, support was obtained for the truss above the nave. As a result, inside the church, the lateral, wider than the presbytery parts of the nave gave the impression as if they were covered with a lowered ceiling (looking like a suspended chest).
Originally a southern portal led to the church, Gothic, pointed, richly decorated with floral motifs. The second entrance portal was located on the axis of the west facade. The windows were opened from the south and west, and also contrary to the medieval building tradition from the north, which was obviously due to the large cubature of the building and the need to light up three aisles. The original windows were rectangular with ogival arch in the upper part.
The preserved to this day church is an extremely valuable monument, because it is the oldest timber building in Poland with three aisles. Despite the transformation of the original spatial arrangement in the Baroque period, its structure along with the wall frames and the ruff truss system over the nave remained intact. What’s more, in the southern aisle there is an ogival, Gothic portal, richly decorated with floral motifs, with the Odrowąż coat of arms and the date of building 1466.
Brykowski R., Drewniana architektura kościelna w Małopolsce XV wieku, Warszawa 1981.
Brykowski R., Kornecki M., Drewniane kościoły w Małopolsce południowej, Wrocław 1984.
Cisowski B., Duda M., Szlak architektury drewnianej. Małopolska, Kraków 2005.
Krasnowolski B., Leksykon zabytków architektury Małopolski, Warszawa 2013.