The Upper Mill, also known as the Bakery Mill, was probably built at the turn of the 14th and 15th centuries, as it was first recorded in written sources in 1401. In 1718 it burned down, but was rebuilt with the help of the Polish king Augustus II the Strong. It luckily survived the Second World War until the end of which worked as a steam mill.
The Upper Mill is situated south-east of the castle and the town, on the Mill Canal, flowing from Lake Balewskie as a natural stream, and from the Stary Targ as an artificial watercourse. Near the mill, the lock divided the canal waters, discharging some of them to the Relief Channel (“Vorfluchtgraben”) bypassing the town. Thanks to this system, it was possible to protect Malbork from excess water from spring thaws. In this place the oldest municipal waterworks also began.
On the Mill Canal, there was also the Middle Mill, located closer to the castle, at the outlet from the eastern town wicket gate, a tannery mill, known as the Lesser Mill, intended for grinding oak bark, and the Castle Mill, in other words Small or Lower, working for the Malbork Teutonic convent.
The Upper Mill was built on a rectangular plan with dimensions of 12.7 x 25.5 meters. Its walls were 1.35 meters thick. It was covered with a spacious, gable roof, resting on its short sides on triangular gable walls, which were decorated with longitudinal blendes along the entire height of the façades.
The mill is currently in private hands. From the outside, its Gothic, rich blendes on the eastern façade has survived, although the whole thing seems neglected.
Website mlyn.zamek.malbork.pl, Młyny malborskie.