The construction of defensive walls in Lwówek began around 1261. Until 1301, an inner ring was built. The second, external circuit was erected in the years 1435 – 1494. In 1427 and 1432, the Hussites were discouraged from besieging the city by its fortifications. In the mid-sixteenth century, the city walls were rebuilt and modernized, and in 1643 partially destroyed during the Thirty Years’ War. In the mid-sixteenth century, the city walls were rebuilt, and in 1643 partially destroyed. They were again adapted to military purposes during the Silesian wars in the eighteenth century. In the nineteenth century they were gradually dismantled, but between 1934 and 1935 they were rebuilt and partly reconstructed.
The city was surrounded by two circuit of defensive walls: an older interior with a height of about 8-12 meters and a younger, exterior with a height of 6-8 meters. Both were made of blocks of local sandstone. The inner ring of the wall had 23 rectangular half towers placed on average every 50 meters. In the outside ring 11 semicircular, low towers were built. Three gates led to the city: Lubań Gate, Złotoryja Gate and Bolesławiec Gate. The outer zone of defense was the hydrated moat and the small river Płuczka, which circulated the city from the east and south.
To this day in the best condition, the tower of the Lubań Gate and the tower of the Bolesławiec Gate have been preserved. Of the remaining towers of the internal wall, 13 of them are partially preserved. Fragments of the defensive wall also survived, but mostly a lot lower than in the original appearance.
Bossowski J.A., Mury obronne Lwówka Śląskiego, Częstochowa 1999.
Pilch J, Leksykon zabytków architektury Dolnego Śląska, Warszawa 2005.
Przyłęcki M., Mury obronne miast Dolnego Śląska, Wrocław 1970.