The construction of the church was probably started before 1349. The mention in the document from 1369 already refers to the reconstruction or extension of the existing facility. Probably rebuilding, and perhaps reconstruction required the temple after the destruction, as a result of the Hussite invasions in 1428 and 1431, because it was located in the immediate vicinity of the town’s defensive walls. All construction work was completed only in 1511. Such a long period of construction and extension of the temple undoubtedly affected the uniquely atypical spatial and architectural layout of the object. As a result of numerous layers and stages of construction works and alterations, a very interesting building was created with numerous irregularities of the composition, while maintaining all the medieval features. Damaged during the war in 1945, the temple was secured and underwent renovation works only in the years 1959 – 1961.
The church is an orientated, three-nave temple with elevated aisles, made of gothic brick. Both the nave and aisles have a three-span division. The left, northern aisle is extended towards the chancel for another three spans. The three-span, elongated chancel ends with an irregular polygon. On the southern side, the chancel is adjoined by a two-story annex on the projection of a rectangle. Its lower part contains the sacristy, the first floor is a chapel. The north aisle is adjoined by added chapels and porch. In the temple there are almost all types of gothic vaults: rib in the presbytery and side aisle, stellar in the central nave, net in one of the northern chapels. The wooden roof is covered with ceramic tiles. The window and door openings are of pointed type. The western gable of the central nave deserves attention from the external decor, which is richly expanded by vertical and horizontal divisions of the facade, interwoven forms of gothic and early renaissance architecture.
The belfry standing next to the church was added at the end of the 15th century on one of the city towers. It is a six-storey building on a square plan, made of gothic brick combined with a temple by porch. All floors are marked with offsets in the thickness of the wall or horizontal cornices. Window openings are of pointed type. The tower is covered with a high, ceramic roof with a ridge.
Pilch J., Leksykon zabytków architektury Dolnego Śląska, Warszawa 2005.
Website glogow.pl, Lubin.