A granary called the Salt House or also the Grain House, was erected next to the defensive walls in the years 1537-1539. Originally, it was intended to store grain and salt, but it also played a role as part of the town’s defense system (Lubań received a very profitable salt privilege as early as 1291, thanks to which the city council had the exclusive trade in salt).
In 1556, the granary was raised by one floor, and once again its walls were raised in 1698, while the vault that was to be built on the new floor collapsed during the works. Due to its safe location, it was one of the few buildings that survived the fires of the town in 1554, 1659 and 1760. In 1807, during the wars fought by Napoleon, a prison for soldiers was established within the walls of the warehouse, and in the first half of the 20th century it served as a fire station. Currently, it remains undeveloped.
The granary was situated on a hill, in the area of the zwinger of fortifications, that is, between the higher and lower lines of the defensive walls, between the Bracka and Zgorzelecka gates. This location was caused by fire safety considerations, as high walls effectively separated the building from the mostly timber buildings of the town, and also protected it against flooding.
The Salt House was built on a rectangular plan with dimensions of 33.8 x 18.4 meters, made of basalt stones and erratic pebbles connected with a lime mortar with an admixture of clay, with the northern wall co-created by the inner defensive wall. Its numerous but small window openings on the south-west, south and south-east side of the town could be used as arrowslits if necessary. Eventually, it reached a height of 22 meters, housing four floors and an attic.
Inside, all the warehouse ceilings received a wooden structure and rested on wooden poles. The individual levels were connected by stairs in the form of ladders leaning against the ceiling beams. There was a crane installed inside the warehouse in Lubań, which enabled loading and unloading of goods. Originally, there had to be a room for the writer and a weight room on the ground floor. The main gate, vaulted with stone blocks, was placed on the north-eastern side of the building.
Tekiela Ł., Mury obronne. Dom Solny, Lubań 2014.
Website luban.pl, Dom Solny.