Łopuszna village was founded in 1364, probably by a knight’s foundation. The present church, probably the second in turn, was built in the last decade of the fifteenth century. It was consecrated in 1504 by the bishop of Kraków, Jan, giving it a lengthy call to the Holy Trinity, the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Saint Stanisław bishop and martyr, and Saint Antoni Opata. In the seventeenth century, the tower was added, it was also renovated and rebuilt several times. This was caused by the location of the temple in the area of frequent flooding, which caused recurrent damages, as a result of the Dunajec floods. Recent renovations interfering in the architectural details of the temple took place in 1932 and after the flood in 1934-1935. The church was then re-erected on a stone foundation, damaged elements were replaced, new porches and a storeroom on the north side were added. Unfortunately, original gothic portals in the nave and chancel were than destroyed. After the flood of 1934, new polychromes were also made. In 2005-2006, the church underwent thorough maintenance.
The church was built on the western edge of the village, on a slight hill, cut off from the south by the stream flowing to the Białczański forest. It is a late-gothic, orientated, aisleless structure. The walls have been boarded byvertical planks. It consists of a rectangular ended chancel, nave and later added tower with pole-frame construction. Tower has tapering, shingle-covered walls with an overhang porch covered with a spire helmet. From the north, the sacristy adheres to the chancel, but it is not the original structure. The whole (except the tower) covers a steep roof with one ridge with characteristic bends of the roof over the side parts of the nave.
Originally, the walls inside the church were whitewashed, and the presbytery, ceilings and pulpit were once decorated with 16th-century patron polychrome. The interior was originally lit by three windows, and pointed portals led into the nave and presbytery.
Unfortunately, the church has significantly lost its Gothic character due to the transformation of the original windows and portals, replaced in 1932 with new, rectangular ones, although its layout remained essentially unchanged, not counting the sacristy added from the north. Inside, until today, the 16th-century polychrome has been preserved only in fragments on boards from old ceilings. The current paintings on the ceiling of the vestibule under the tower and on the chancel beam are for the most part a reconstruction that repeats old patterns.
Brykowski R., Kornecki M., Drewniane kościoły w Małopolsce południowej, Wrocław 1984.
Cisowski B., Duda M., Szlak architektury drewnianej. Małopolska, Kraków 2005.
Kornecki M., Gotyckie kościoły drewniane na Podhalu, Kraków 1987.
Krasnowolski B., Leksykon zabytków architektury Małopolski, Warszawa 2013.