The church was built in the 4th quarter of the 13th century. In the fifteenth century, congresses of the Prussian states took place there. According to local tradition, meetings also took place there of the members of the Lizard Union, a noble anti-Teutonic organization. At the turn of the 15th and 16th centuries, from the north, a porch was added, converted into a chapel in the 19th century. However, in the years 1551-1585, the western part of the nave was added along with a tower from the foundation of Stanisław Kostka, the governor of Chełmno and the starost of Lipieniek, and his son Jan, castellan of Gdańsk. In 1655, the temple was damaged by the Swedish army. In the nineteenth century, on the wave of fascination with gothic, a neo-gothic porch was added from the south, and four hexagonal pillars were built inside, on which the ceiling of the nave of the church is based.
It is a gothic, one-nave church, with a straight ended chancel, which has a gable from the middle of the 16th century. It was set out of stones laid with layers using granite and brick debris. A characteristic element is the 18-side brick tower added in the 16th century. The interior is covered with a wooden ceiling. In the north porch there is a stellar vault, while in the west porch under the tower there is a barrel vault. From the south, the chancel is adjacent to the sacristy crowned with one bay of the rib vault. From the time of building the temple comes a stone, granite baptismal font with a twelve-sided goblet without a foot.
Mroczko T., Architektura gotycka na ziemi chełmińskiej, Warszawa 1980.
Webpage odznaka.kuj-pom.bydgoszcz.pttk.pl, Kościół p.w. Podwyższenia Krzyża Świętego w Lisewie.