Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary was founded by king Casimir the Great in 1340 on the site of an earlier wooden church from the 12th century. In 1571, the episcopal visit revealed the poor condition of the temple. Its thorough restaurant was made around 1830. Unfortunately, many gothic elements have been removed during maintenance, the window cornice was destroyed, the ornamentation of the portals was cut down, the windows were rebuilt and the remains of the gothic vaults were removed. During the renovation in 1900, the church was extended with annexes from the west and south.
The church was built as a Gothic building, originally with two aisles, built of stone blocks, carefully processed and fitted to each other. A chancel with a polygonal closure was added to the rectangular nave from the east, while in the corner of the nave from the south-east side there was a staircase added, closed with three sides. The walls of the nave and the presbytery were covered with buttresses with pinnacles. The Gothic entrance portal – stone, pointed, richly profiled, was embedded in the west facade. Another original portal, closed at the top with a cut trefoil, was found in the entrance to the staircase and the next one in the passage from the chancel to the sacristy. On the west side of the church there was a wooden, 17th-century belfry (the present one is a reconstruction after fire).
Krasnowolski B., Leksykon zabytków architektury Małopolski, Warszawa 2013.
Website zabytek.pl, Kościół pomocniczy pw. Narodzenia NMP Łapczyca.