The castle was founded by the Teutonic Knights around 1233 on a hill located southwest of the later town. The original wooden walls of the fortifications were destroyed by the Prussians in 1242. Another brick building started to be built in 1242. In 1250, the Teutonic Knights handed over the castle to the Pomezanian bishop, who resided there until 1520, when the building was destroyed by Polish troops.
The irregular construction consisted of two adjacent wings. The southern building was reinforced by two towers. The third one was placed by the west wing.
There are no visible relics left of the castle.
Leksykon zamków w Polsce, L.Kajzer, S.Kołodziejski, J.Salm, Warszawa 2003.