Romanesque church of St. Adalbert is one of the oldest in Kraków, as it was built in the second half of the 11th or at the beginning of the 12th century. According to tradition, in this place he was to preach St. Adalbert, and in memory of this event, a wooden temple was to be built. During the archaeological research, relics of the earlier temple from the turn of the 10th and 11th centuries were unveiled under the present building. In 1404, thanks to bishop Piotr Wysz Radoliński, the church became a university prebend. In 1453, Jan Kapistran delivered his sermons here. Unfortunately, at the beginning of the 17th century, the building underwent baroquesathion: the walls of the church were raised, the whole was covered with a dome, the romanesque walls were plastered and a new entrance was built from the west. In 1711, the sacristy was added, and in 1778 the chapel of Wincenty Kadłubek.
The original romanesque church was a aisleless building with a square, narrower and shorter chancel. It was erected from a stone cube with elements of worked stones. The main entrance led through the romanesque portal from the south, and the western facade had only a small oculus. The interior was probably covered with a ceiling.
At present, the medieval wall of the church is shown at the eastern wall of the chancel with a romanesque window, and a portal and window on the south side of the church. Due to the significant rise of the market level over the last thousand years, a few stairs down to the southern portal are necessary.
Krasnowolski B., Leksykon zabytków architektury Małopolski, Warszawa 2013.
Website wojciechnarynku.pl, Kościół św. Wojciecha.