The first reference to the church of Holy Savior comes from 1148 and it is the 12th century that is regarded by researchers as the most likely date of the creation of the temple. The thesis about the earlier, 10th century origin of the building was successfully overthrown by Teresa Radwańska. In 1587, the church was partially destroyed during the battles for Kraków between archduke Maksymilian and Jan Zamoyski. After these events, the church was rebuilt adding a tower from the west, romanesque walls were reinforced with buttresses and the churchyard cemetery was surrounded by a wall. Unfortunately, the church suffered damage during the “Swedish Deluge” in 1656. Until 1680, it was rebuilt thanks to the efforts of the abbess of the nearby Zwierzyniec monastery, Anna Zapolska. As a result of subsequent changes, after the reconstruction, the side entrance was walled, and the sacristy was added in place of the morgue. Subsequent repairs church was passing in 1788, in the 1930s and after 1961.
The church is orientated, made of stone and brick, aisleless. The nave is a two-span on a square plan, with barrel vault. The chancel is narrower, two-span, on a plan similar to a square, with a groin vault. This was the original romanesque church. In the interior on the east wall of the chancel, valuable wall paintings from the beginning of the 16th century have survived.
Krasnowolski B., Leksykon zabytków architektury Małopolski, Warszawa 2013.
Website wikipedia.org, Kościół Najświętszego Salwatora w Krakowie.