The church of St. Nicholas in Kowalewo Pomorskie was built in the years 1286-1300. At the end of the fourteenth or the beginning of the fifteenth century, it was extended from the west by two bays. At the turn of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, it was thoroughly renovated and kept inside the baroque decor. It received the chapel from the south and a timber tower on the west side, which partially destroyed the gothic gable. Around 1900, the culmination of the eastern gable was rebuilt and changed to neo-gothic, and the sacristy was extended from the north.
The church was built as small but long (13 x 37 meters), aisleless building, with no chancel separated from the outside, but only with a sacristy on the north-eastern side. It was located in the north-west part of the town, at the end of the long market square, and at the same time in the line of the wall that separated Kowalewo from the Teutonic Knights castle. In the Middle Ages, the church area was surrounded by an oval perimeter of the wall, which limited the space occupied by the cemetery.
The walls of the church are made of large Gothic bricks, enlivened with a row of ogival blind windows and a profiled crowning cornice. In the southern wall, from the market square, there are two ogival portals with double steps (one of them is bricked up). A Gothic pointed portal with side brick shafts was also placed on the axis of the western gable and at the entrance from the nave to the sacristy. In the window recess of the eastern gable, in the lower zone, there are traces of polychrome, probably from the 16th century.
Mroczko T., Architektura gotycka na ziemi chełmińskiej, Warszawa 1980.
Webpage parafia.kowalewopomorskie.pl, Kościół.