Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary was founded in the first half of the thirteenth century. It was mentioned in written sources for the first time in 1335 as ecclesia lapidea – a stone church. It was rebuilt in 1454 and in the mid-eighteenth century. Damaged in 1945 and unused, fell into disrepair. The security work was completed only in 2001.
Church is an orientated structure, built of unworked stone and sandstone (used in window frames), consisting of a rectangular nave measuring 12.2 x 10.5 meters, a four-sided, almost square chancel measuring 5.2×5 meters and adjacent to it from eastern semicircular apse. A lofty tower is added from the west. The presbytery was crowned with a stellar vault, and the jambs of apse window indicate that the church originally had careful decorative stonework.
The church is considered one of the region’s most valuable monuments, but is still in a state of uncovered ruin. The original, intact spatial layout has been preserved, with the northern annexes and the tower being later additions. All window and door openings have been transformed, except for one apse window. Of the original architectural details, cornices at the base of the chancel arch between the nave and the presbytery have been preserved.
Świechowski Z., Architektura na Śląsku do połowy XIII wieku, Warszawa 1955.