The first wooden, small church was probably built in the second quarter of the 14th century. In the second half of the fourteenth century, it was replaced by a present brick temple. The tower and western fragments of the side aisles were added at the beginning of the 15th century. In 1742 a thorough renovation of the wooden tower was carried out, and in 1888 the renovation of shingle roofs. During the Second World War the church was fortunately not destroyed.
The church is an orientated, three-aisle building with a narrower, straightly ended chancel and a square tower embedded in the nave. On the northern side of the chancel there is a rectangular sacristy, and at the northern aisle a small porch. Side aisles in the Middle Ages were extended to the western wall of the tower. The chancel, the sacristy, the northern and central nave are covered with a joint gable roof, while the southern aisle is covered with a separate gable roof. Adjoining annexes are covered with mono-pitched roofs. The elevations of the church are covered with buttresses, from the east and south there are gables, decorated with blendes. The chancel is decorated with an arcaded frieze. Windows and portals have mostly ogival shapes. The three-aisle interior of the nave is separated by ogival arcades supported on octagonal pillars, and the chancel is strongly integrated with the central nave due to the lack of a chancel arcade.
The church in Kończewice is one of the most valuable Gothic, rural sacral buildings in Gdańsk Pomerania, not transformed with major early modern modifications. The tombstones from 1404 and 1651 were placed on the western wall of the church. From the original equipment it has survived a Gothic, granite baptismal font and a stoup.
Webpage zabytek.pl, Kościół par. pw. Matki Bożej Wniebowzięcia Kończewice.