The beginning of the construction of the gothic bridge in Kłodzko dates back to the second half of the 13th century. The exact date of completion is not known, but it is assumed that it took place around 1390. Originally at its ends were the bridge gates: Upper and Lower. The Upper bridge gate was built at the end of the 13th century. Later, it was repeatedly rebuilt, so that in the final stage of a three-storey defensive building with a hip roof, become a residential building. The other end of the bridge was closed by the Lower Gate, which was built before 1469. Both gates were dismantled at the beginning of the 20th century. The bridge was rebuilt in the 17th and 18th centuries, when a balustrade and a brick superstructure of pillars were added. Also in the eighteenth century figures appeared on the bridge funded by generous and wealthy burghers. Another name for the bridge is “bridge on eggs”. This is related to the need for local peasants to supply eggs from which the protein was mixed with calcium to the mortar.
The gothic bridge in Kłodzko is one of the oldest buildings of this type in Poland. It has a four-span structure built from sandstone worked blocks. Its length is 52,20 meters and about 4 meters wide. It has two bridgeheads and three pillars. The two outermost narrower arcades have an pointed shape. Above the pedestal bridge has six ribs, on which a flat platform rests, prepared for the construction of a chapel, which was eventually not created. In the lower parts of the pillars there are anti-ice structures and in the upper, bay windows. Originally at bridge ends were the fortified gates: Upper and Lower.
Pilch J, Leksykon zabytków architektury Dolnego Śląska, Warszawa 2005.
Webpage wikipedia.org, Most gotycki w Kłodzku.