Located in the center of the Kamień Pomorski, the town hall was built at the end of the 13th century, because in 1274 the town received the confirmation of the Lubeck law, and in 1301 the councilors were mentioned for the first time. At the end of the fourteenth century, there was an expansion, as a result of which it was enlarged by the eastern part with arcades. A two-storey shopping hall with cellars was also added to the existing building. In the fifteenth century the extension of the western part of the town hall was carried out, the elevations of which received ornamental decorations. In later periods, the medieval form of the town hall architecture underwent lesser transformations, but at the beginning of the 17th century, the western part of the town hall was badly damaged. During the reconstruction, the vaults were removed from it, and the gable was rebuilt in a form combining late-gothic and early modern motifs. In the 18th century an entrance in the northern façade was pierced and some windows were rebuilt. In 1927 regothisation was carried out. In 1945, the building was destroyed, but after the war in 1966-1988 it was carefully rebuilt.
The town hall from the 13th century was a small, almost square in the plan, a two storey building with basement, with stairs in the thickness of the wall. On the first floor there was a jury room and on the ground floor a meeting hall of the town council. A timber merchant hall adjoined or stood to the building in close proximity. It was located in the middle of the town market.
In the 14th century, the building received the shape of a two-story, (with basement) an elongated rectangular form with a three-arcaded gallery on the east side and a rich elevation decor, divided by ogival arcades and polygonal pilaster strips, which on the north and south side in the upper part were connected by wall arches. In the western part, pilaster strips received a polygonal shape and were divided by niches into several zones, with their upper part rising above the roof covering in the form of a pinnacles. Two levels of opennings were arranged in the arches thus formed: in the middle bays even and in the extreme from the east and two from the west larger, single ones. Shorter sides were decorated with ornamental gothic gables, of which at the end of the fifteenth century the west was crowned with a beautiful openwork decoration with tracery motifs in the form of densely intertwined networks and penetrating ogives.
Inside the town hall there is a high ground floor and a low floor, divided into two routes. In the basement under the western part of the building there is a four-bay room covered with a cross-rib vault on a centrally placed pillar, while the small cellars on the south side are covered with a barrel vault. The basement room under the eastern part was topped only with a wooden ceiling. The arcades and the hall above them were covered with a cross-rib vault.
Jarzewicz J., Architektura średniowieczna Pomorza Zachodniego, Poznań 2019.
Pilch J., Kowalski S., Leksykon zabytków Pomorza Zachodniego i ziemi lubuskiej, 2012.
Webpage encyklopedia.szczecin.pl, Ratusz (Kamień Pomorski).