The castle was built in the middle of the 14th century by Ticzko Panewitz from the area of Broumov in the Czech. From the end of the 14th century, it belonged to Dittrich von Janovitz, then to his brother Johann, and from 1427 to Mikulas Trczek, a supporter of the Hussite Taborites, which protected the castle from destruction. After the Hussite wars, from 1454, it became the property of George from Podiebrad, to finally be sold to Hildebrand von Kauffung from Lusatia, who separated the stronghold from the Czech crown. The castle became the capital of a small, so-called the Homole State, including dozens of nearby villages and towns. Kauffung’s descendants eventually became knight-robbers, which meant that their sovereignty was no longer tolerated. In 1534, the imperial army captured the castle, which was subsequently confiscated, and the last owner was executed. From that time, Homole fell into disrepair.
The castle, erected on a flat top of the mountain, consisted of an irregular polygon of the perimeter of the walls, made of local sandstone, with the freestanding, round bergfried tower. The entrance to it was probably on the upper floor and was accessible via a ladder or external wooden stairs. The interior of the tower because of the small space and lack of large windows was not intended for long-term residence, but only to stay in a period of danger. The lowest floor could also be used as a prison cell or pantry. From the south there was a residential house, and in the northern part, outbuildings.
Only a fragment of the tower and a few meters long external wall and traces of a dry moat have survived to the present times. The castle area is generally available.
Leksykon zamków w Polsce, red. L.Kajzer, Warszawa 2003.