The village of Grzywna was first mentioned in 1285, when a documentary witness was a Gynzelinus from Grzywna. In 1293, it became the property of the Włocławek bishopric in exchange for the property between Golub and Ostrowite offered to the Teutonic Order. Since the document of this transaction does not mention the right of patronage, it can be assumed that the church did not exist at that time and that it was built by the bishop of Kujawy, Wisław before 1300. At that time, Nicholas, the parson of Grzywna, already appears in the written sources.
The church is a single-nave, stone-brick building, with a gothic porch from the west, constituting the ground floor of the planned and unrealized tower (the tower from the north is an addition from the beginning of the 20th century). On the eastern side there is a small, two-bay chancel covered with a rib vault, with an archaic triangular profile of ribs with a cut nose, unprecedented in the Chełmno Land. The triangular western gable of the nave with three ogival blendes with a pyramidal arrangement represents the oldest example from a group of gables of this type. The eastern gable, for a change, is completely smooth, which is also an archaic feature. In the west façade there were terracotta sculptures from the mid-fourteenth century, today hidden inside the presbytery of the church. In the east elevation you can see the 14th century frieze depicting a two-headed stag.
Mroczko T., Architektura gotycka na ziemi chełmińskiej, Warszawa 1980.