Initially, Gryfice was a Slavic settlement formed at the ford across the river. Its size led in 1264 to town privilege on the Lubeck Law by prince Warcisław III. The new municipal center from 1295 belonged to the Wołogoszcz Duchy, the basis for its development was trade, mainly grains floated by Rega.
The construction of defensive walls in Gryfice on the site of the former earth-wooden palisade began in 1300. The town was surrounded by brick – stone defensive walls, equipped with half towers. In the fifteenth century fortifications were modernized. Next to half towers there were closed, cylindrical towers, and city gates were raised. In 1658, the High Gate burned down, which after reconstruction did not return to the original height. The fortifications survived in this state until the end of the 18th century. From that moment they began to be dismantled successively.
For the construction of defensive walls, stones in the lower parts and bricks in the upper ones were used. The line of walls reached the length of 650 meters. Their height varied, from 3 to 5 meters, while the thickness in some places ranged from 40 to 80 cm. They were topped with battlements, and on the inside they had a guard porch. The walls were reinforced with three full towers: Powder Tower, Mill Tower and Bridge Tower, and undetermined number of half towers.
Three gates led to the town: High (Szczecińska), Reska Gate and Stone Gate (Mill). The High Gate from the fifteenth century was crowned with two gothic gables. As one of the few has preserved wooden ceiling inside the passage. Noteworthy is also the portcullis guide, which is located inside the passage, and not, as it is commonly found, on the outside. At first the Stone Gate was a prism-shaped building. As a result of the 15th century extension, it received slender gables. Like High Gate, it was destroyed by fire, after which only partially its original appearance was restored. Not survived Reska Gate was located in the western part of the fortifications. It was erected on a rectangular plan and crowned with two gables. In addition, it was defended with a foregate consisting of two cylindrical towers connected with each other by a wall.
Today fragments of the walls have been preserved between Wałowa, Górska and Niepodległości streets and partly along the Rega river. In addition, you can see the High Gate, reduced in the seventeenth century and rebuilt in the gothic-renaissance style, similarly rebuilt Stone Gate and the gothic Powder Tower. The High Gate now houses the Gryfice Region Museum and a tourist information point, while the Stone Gate serves as a hotel. The Powder Tower was adapted for sightseeing and a viewpoint was opened there.
Lukas E, Średniowieczne mury miejskie na Pomorzu Zachodnim. Poznań 1975.
Pilch.J, Kowalski S., Leksykon zabytków Pomorza Zachodniego i ziemi lubuskiej, Warszawa 2012.