When, at the beginning of the fourteenth century, construction of defensive walls began, a single line of them was also on the high escarpment from the Vistula. However, in the years 1346-1351, a granary of Bornwald was built from that side, a few more around 1364, and in 1504 along today’s Spichrzowa street stood fourteen granaries. At the beginning of the 17th century, there were already sixteen of them. Serious destruction hit the granaries during the city fights in 1945. Reconstruction lasted from 1946-1966. Currently, some of them still have warehouse functions, partly residential, and the few serve, after adapting, the needs of the Museum in Grudziądz. They are undoubtedly the symbol of the Grudziądz town.
The granaries were mostly made of brick, which proved that Grudziądz played an important role in river trade in the region. The location was due to the proximity of the port, located at the foot of the escarpment, and at the same time their thick, steep exterior walls with small windows ensured defense against enemies and secured the slope against landslides. Due to the topography of the area, the granaries were several-storey from the Vistula side, whereas from the city side only one storey or two storeys. Set on a ridge, they were covered with gable roofs. The internal structure was wooden, with beam ceilings and this condition was preserved during reconstruction and restoration in the following centuries. Probably in earlier times, like in the eighteenth-century engravings, they were connected with the quay by wooden gutterways, through which grain was poured directly onto boats and ships.
Turnbull S., Crusader Castles Of The Teutonic Knights. The Stone Castles Of Latvia And Estonia 1185-1560, Oxford 2004.
Webpage wikipedia.org, Spichrze w Grudziądzu.