The castle may have been erected in the second half of the 14th century, after the takeover of goods in the village in 1381 by Melchior von Warnsdorf, the first of the line of owners, having Gościszów until the seventeenth century. Another possibility is the earlier erection of the castle, by the knight Gebhard, from the family of von Querfurt, who held the Gościszów from the dukes of Świdnica-Jawor since 1318. The late-gothic extension of the castle took place in the fifteenth century on the initiative of the Warnsdorfs, probably Hans Wolfel. In 1603, the medieval castle was transformed by Kacper von Warnsdorf and his wife Helena Sedlitz in the renaissance style residence. New ranges were then added and residential buildings increased significantly. Further changes took place in the eighteenth century, at a time when the owners of the residence were Bibrans. In 1945 the castle burnt down and since then remains in ruin.
The original castle consisted of a circumference of defensive walls with a shape similar to an oval, preceded by an irrigated moat. The thickness of the wall reached 1.6 – 2 meters. The gate was on the east side, probably it was a simple passage in the wall. The residential part was a two-story (and with cellar) tower house with dimensions 7.8 x 10 meters, on the north-western side of the perimeter, opposite the gate. The wall and the tower were made of unworked stones, and the corners of the tower were accented with stone blocks.
The rooms of the first floor and ground floor of the tower were accessible from separate entrances, located on the side of the wall alley in the south-west wall. It is known that the entrance on the ground floor level could be blocked by a bar. The ground floor and basement of the tower had a barrel vault, while the upper floor received a wooden beam ceiling.
At the end of the Middle Ages, the tower house was expanded, filling the western corner and thus creating a two-bay building with dimensions of 10×16 meters. Its new entrance in the front wall was covered with a bolt. The remaining buildings could be timber houses in the inner courtyard of the castle.
Currently, the remains of the original castle are the perimeter wall with relics of the lower parts of the tower and cellars on the western side. The monument is in private hands, it is very neglected and requires urgent security works, but it is possible to explore it from the outside.
Chorowska M., Rezydencje średniowieczne na Śląsku, Wrocław 2003.
Leksykon zamków w Polsce, red. L.Kajzer, Warszawa 2003.
Rosiek A.M., Siedziby rycerskie w księstwie świdnicko -jaworskim do końca XIV wieku, Kraków 2010.